Creamy Butternut Squash Soup is the ultimate Fall soup. It’s creamy and smooth plus cozy and warm. Filled with veggies but also a tiny bit sweet. Topped off with a drizzle of Hiland Dairy Heavy Cream to make this soup the perfect comfort food for a chilly Fall day.
This recipe and its ingredients are simple and pretty healthy, too. Everything cooks together in one pot which makes it an easy soup to make.
You want to pick a Butternut Squash that is about 3-4 pounds. You can also buy pre cut, raw Butternut Squash and you’ll need about 5 cups of the pre cut.
A carrot in this soup adds some more veggies, a little more depth of flavor and great color as well. I always love the flavor of an onion in soup, adding some major savory and sweet vibes.
An apple mixed in with the veggies in this soup adds just a hint of sweetness that makes it so good. I use a Granny Smith but any apple variation will work.
I love the savory flavor of vegetable broth for this soup recipe but you can use chicken broth as well.
The rich and creamy texture and flavor of this soup is all from the Hiland Dairy Heavy Cream. Incredible flavor. You can also use Hiland Half and Half if you desire.
The mix of seasonings range from savory to cozy, perfect for Butternut Squash Soup. I add just a bit of cayenne to this soup but you can always add more if you like more of a kick.
In a large pot, add a drizzle of olive oil over medium high heat then add the chopped onions. Heat for a couple minutes to soften a bit then add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
In the same pot over medium heat, add all the remaining ingredients: butternut squash, carrot, apple, vegetable broth, sage, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper. You’ll simmer the veggies for about 30 minutes until soft.
Once the veggies are soft, pour in the HIland Dairy Heavy cream and then use an Immersion Blender to blend the soup together to make it creamy and smooth. See tip below about using a regular blender.
Taste your Butternut Squash Soup creation to see if you need any more salt, add more as needed. Then serve up. Add your favorite toppings like another drizzle of Hiland heavy cream, pepitas, paprika, parmesan, bacon, arugula.
Try some different flavors or ways to make this soup recipe. All really easy and turn out delicious!
Add a little Cumin to make this soup have a Mexican flavor or some Oregano to add a little Italian taste.
Try roasting all the veggies on a sheet pan at 400 degrees before placing them in the pot with the broth. Roasting brings out some deep flavors and natural sweetness of the veggies. Incredible flavor.
You use all the same steps as on the stove top just at a slower speed. Everything goes into the crockpot and you let it set for several hours. Then use an immersion blender to make it all smooth and creamy.
If you don’t have an Immersion blender, don’t worry, you can pour the soup into a regular blender and blend until smooth. Be sure to pour the soup in batches in the blender and not all at once so it doesn’t overload the blender and spill everywhere.
I’m a fan of so many soups! Check out some of my favorite soup recipes below!
Here are a few of my favorites:
And if you’re interested in creating more deliciousness with Hiland Dairy products, be sure to check out Hiland Dairy’s recipes too (including some created by yours truly!).
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup is the ultimate Fall soup. Creamy and smooth plus cozy and warm. Filled with veggies but also a tiny bit sweet. Topped off with a drizzle of Hiland Dairy Heavy Cream to make this soup the perfect comfort food for a chilly Fall day.
Large drizzle olive oil
1 medium white onion, diced
1–2 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups vegetable broth
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, chopped
1 medium butternut squash
1 sprig fresh sage
Pinch ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
1/2 cup Hiland Dairy Heavy Cream
Large pinch Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
1. Start by chopping the onion, carrot, apple and butternut squash. (see video for how to cut butternut squash) Set veggies aside.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, pour a large drizzle of olive oil on the bottom of the pot and add the chopped onions. Saute onions for a few minutes until soft. Add the minced garlic, stir and cook for another minute.
3. Add the carrot, apple, and butternut squash to the pot plus the sage, cayenne, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir together then add the vegetable broth. Stir again.
4. Turn the heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a simmer. Once simmering, turn the heat to medium low and place the lid on the pot. Let the veggies simmer for about 30 minutes or until soft.
5. Once the veggies are soft, turn the heat off and remove the sprig of sage from the pot. Add Hiland Dairy Heavy Cream to the veggies. Then using an immersion blender, blend the veggies and heavy cream together until smooth and creamy. *See note below to use a blender.
6. Once the soup is smooth, add a large pinch of salt and pepper and taste. Ready to serve! Drizzle more Hiland Heavy cream over each bowl plus more toppings like pumpkin seeds, croutons, arugula or fresh herbs.