This Creamy Cucumber Salad is so nostalgic to me. It reminds me of humid days, the smell of burgers on the grill and those crisp midwest veggies straight from the garden.
My Grandma made this salad a lot growing up and made her house smell of onions and I love that smell. I might be strange, but I love that smell. I always thought it was some detailed recipe that took a long time to make, but come to find out…it’s incredibly easy.
And yes, I know I’m calling this a salad and it has mayo but that’s how we do things in the Midwest. It’s a way of life.
This creamy cucumber salad sauce is embarrassingly easy. It’s made of: mayo, white vinegar, sugar, dill, garlic, pepper. The longer it sit, the longer those flavors infuse into the cucumbers and onions. A little bit sour, a little bit sweet.
Make sure after you brine the cucumbers and onions, you drain tohe liquid out. This will make certain your creamy cucumber salad is more creamy and less watery.
Check out the easy recipe and video below and let me know what you think!
A little sour, a little sweet in this nostalgic summertime creamy cucumber salad. Easy to make and totally addicting.
2 large cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup mayo
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry or fresh dill
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a large bowl, add the thinly sliced cucumbers and onion. Add the salt and mix all together so the veggies are coated. Cover and set aside for 15-30 minutes.
2. While the cucumbers and onions are set aside, you can make the creamy sauce. In a medium bowl, add the mayo, vinegar, sugar, dill, garlic, and pepper. Mix together until all combined.
3. Uncover and drain the liquid off the cucumbers and onion in a strainer. Return veggies to bowl.
4. Pour the sauce over the cucumbers and onions and then mix to combine and cover all the veggies in the sauce.
5. Cover again and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours and then serve. Enjoy!
**Make sure to drain the liquid off the cucumbers and onions before adding the creamy sauce